Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Opportunities Arise From Relationships by Ellen Dodor


Since I’ve started interning in radio, it always amazes me how many people think it’s a mysterious world or that an internship is unattainable. I have to say getting an internship at this station was really easy. All you needed was to show that you have a personality and be able to show it. The hardest part about having this internship is earning your time, on-air and off. I remember first starting and having a limited number of days in the studio and most of them I would spend sitting in the studio just listening and observing. I really missed answering calls and feeling like I could participate. I remember thinking that if I wanted to answer phones and be a part of the show I had to stand out and do one heck of a job the one day I got to be on-air.

Most people can say they’ve had a similar situation in a job but when you wake up at 4:30am to just sit around, it’s a pretty smart way for the boss to sort through those who want to be there and those who are just there to say they were an “intern”. Going into this spring semester I knew my time at the station would be coming to an end, so when I emailed my boss I told him that I wanted 3 days a week, on-air, being the stupid intern making sarcastic remarks. What I didn’t realize during that time when I was sitting in that room was that I was developing relationships with these people. I was learning stuff about their families and other things that not even the most dedicated listener would know. I remember yearning for a paid position with the station, talking about it every day and hinting at topics to discuss.

But this past fall it finally hit me that the morning show is where I am supposed to be. They don’t want to lose me to some weekend show, they are giving me the opportunity to be on air in front of thousands of people and the morning show is prime time in radio. I was telling my parents how cool it is to feel needed and valuable to a radio show and a successful company that doesn’t even pay me! It’s weird but I love getting up to work on the show, and I love it when my peers ask me questions about it.

It just goes to show that when you are working in an intern position, paid or unpaid, that you keep focus and show them how much your work means to you. Once your employer or boss sees that you care about what you do, even the most tedious of jobs and take ownership in them, they want to keep you around. They see you as valuable to their work and don’t want you to leave. Now as I enter my last month of answering calls I can tell they’re going to miss me, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t going to miss the morning show and the people I got to work with. It will be a bitter sweet month for me, reminiscing and having to train in the new interns it won’t be the same.

Moral of this blog post: Care about what you do at your internship and care about the people you work with. They will help to shape you as a professional in ways you can’t even predict, and make you a better person because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment