Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Introducing Jessica Nietfeld, Higher Education Intern

           My name is Jessica and I am a senior at St. Cloud State University with a major in Mass Communications.  I am anxious and nervous that it is my last year, but I am thankful that I had an internship this semester to slowly break me into the hands-on experience.  My internship search took at least a couple of months, but since was continuously searching I found one sooner than expected.  Since fall 2012 I have been interning at a higher education career development center and helping students with the internship search process. 
I do have to say the best part about my internship is the people that I work with.  It makes the stressful days go by a lot more smoothly knowing that everyone has respect for each other.  I now realize how important it is to actually find a career that you enjoy so you don’t have to consider it a job.  As my internship supervisors always suggests, “It’s not always what’s in it for them [the employer] but what’s in it for you too!” 
Working with a career development center allows me to not only help coworkers, but students as well.  An internship is one of the most important experiences a student will take part in and knowing that I get to help guide students is an honor. 
Aside from helping coworkers and students, there is a lot more that my position has to offer.  Some days might consist of emailing organizations and employees regarding specific opportunities, and other days might be booked with student appointments where only one of the appointments actually shows up.   Dealing with no-shows is frustrating, but there are always other things that need to be done. 
Other than meeting with students I get to research internship trends, promote internship opportunities to employers, and help with event planning.  All the tasks I take part in build onto my skills that are needed for a Mass Communications career.  Counseling, researching and promoting are skills that this internship allows me to continually build and expand upon.  I look forward to new experiences that my internship will have to offer this spring!
Overall, my four years at SCSU have already paid off, especially since I get to take my classroom knowledge and apply it hands.  I am not going to lie, this last year of college has been chaotic, but the only regret I have is not getting into an internship sooner!
Author:  Jessica Nietfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment