Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Introducing Meghan Reistad, Media Intern

             Hello! My name is Meghan Reistad and I am a junior at St. Cloud State University this year. I am a mass communications and communication studies major and my ideal career goal is to work as a news reporter after graduation. I transferred to St. Cloud State University for the awesome broadcast journalism program and am actively involved at the university television studio, UTVS.

             I had the amazing opportunity to dance in Orlando, Florida this past fall semester, while interning at a news station at the same time. My first internship experience was terrific! I learned from seasoned reporters and had a great time exploring Orlando. While interning, I worked directly with the assignment desk editors, producers and reporters. I also branched out and met some of the staff within the creative services department. Learning about promotions, along with news, helped solidify my knowledge for journalism. Some of my favorite experiences were shadowing reporters, writing scripts and operating the teleprompter. I even had the opportunity to help with Election Night 2012 coverage!

            This semester, I am interning at a media organization in St. Cloud. The company focuses on entertainment and digital marketing services along with operating various radio stations and live events in the community. I found out about the internship by attending the St. Cloud State University Diversity Job and Internship Fair this past January. My first couple weeks as an intern involve shadowing different departments within the company. I will have the chance to find out how marketing, news and online media operate within the organization – just to name a few of the departments! After I’ve learned about the different elements within the company, I will be able to focus on the department that interests me most. I am keeping an open mind, but my guess is that I will be most interested in the news department.

             Although the reporters at my internship work for a radio station, much of their job is similar to that of a television reporter. Multimedia journalism is becoming more and more prevalent in today’s society and I believe it will be extremely beneficial to know about all branches of journalism after graduation from St. Cloud State. The reporters at my internship write, film and edit all their own stories for the radio and web. I will be shadowing a reporter within the next few weeks to find out more about her job, so be on the lookout for an exciting post.

            Overall, I am thrilled to be an intern this semester! I cannot wait to get hands-on experience working with professionals in the media field. Between work, school and an internship, it will be a busy semester; however, I know the experiences I gain will be well worth it. My next post will feature my first experience working in radio and, believe me, it was a blast! Stay tuned!      

No comments:

Post a Comment