Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Introducing Ellen Dodor: Radio Broadcasting Intern

It's almost been one year since I answered my first phone call at the radio station, and in the call screening booth is where I sit today. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday you can find me making cocky remarks and taking all your music requests. Part of me is surprised that I've answered phones for so long, especially because I haven't been getting paid for any of my time answering phones.

I started at the station right after I returned from my time abroad, it was the biggest reality check of my life. I had slowed down in all aspects of my life. That's the one thing I had adopted from the British culture and it didn't take long for someone to call me out on it and tell me to get my act together. I was so nervous and barely said anything on air because I was nervous it wouldn't be funny enough. Ironically today, those fears no longer exist and I've learned to jell with the dj's and can read when it's alright to interrupt and to slide one good story or comment right before we head to a music break.

There's a lot of misconceptions surrounding the radio field and there's a lot that goes into a station, especially one that isn't owned by a global media company.The station I work at is owned by a private company. This company also own a country, talk, and lite rock station. All of their studios are in the basement of an old strip mall in downtown St. Cloud. It's a pretty tight community down there, I've grown to meet the morning dj's of the other stations simply because there is no other reason for a college student to be down there at 5:30am.

As for being an intern we don't get much say in what gets played or what we talk about but what's appreciated and admired is that we come to the studio with those ideas anyway. The radio business must stay a head of the curve and who else is more in the know about current pop culture than college students?! I've learned that everyone not only has a role but you really develop a character when you're on air. I remember when I started at the station, everyone thought I watched Big Bang Theory and described me as a "flower child." That couldn't be farther from the truth, but the more I became comfortable behind the mike I developed up this attitude of this self- entitled intern that thought she knew everything and was lazy. That is also far from the truth, but it was funny and it worked with the dynamic of dj's we have.

It's fun playing someone you're not, especially when your parents listening from back home in Wisconsin and they end up texting you during the show asking you questions about what you're saying. Even though our demographic is middle aged women, I like to think that I am the youth of the show.  All of the dj's on the morning show have children so I take the opportunity to fluff stories of going downtown with my friends, and the crazy antics I have with my with my roommates. It keeps the show relevant to the younger listeners so they can find a reason to listen in every morning. Sometimes I make up false stories on air, but sometimes it's the wild and crazy people want to hear about, or it's the intern with an attitude.

Having an internship in radio is something I never thought would happen to me. I knew I was outgoing for stuff like that, but it's a completely different ball game when you see people working in this field as a career choice. There is strategy in their programming and that is the side of radio I hope to explore this semester. There is a set demographic and now it's making myself, my character of "Intern Ellen" relate to the majority, and to find a niche so that I can stand out and be known for the personality I portray on air.

With this blog, you will read about all the trials I'll face as an intern in radio, you will read about the good bits that happen on air and what I have reflected on as a person that helps bring a popular morning show together.

No comments:

Post a Comment