Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Introducing Jacob Byrnes: Management Trainee Intern

During the summer of 2012 I started my Internship at a rental car company.  I had initially heard of the opening at a SUMO (Society of Unified Management Organizations) meeting where a recruiter had spoken.  After talking with the recruiter after the meeting, I determined it would be a good fit; as I was a Management major.  Coincidentally, I signed up for a mock interview with Career Services and it just so happened that the same recruiter would be interviewing me.  I applied to the company, got an interview, and had an official interview with the same recruiter.  I knew exactly what she wanted to hear, because she told me during the mock interview.  A background in sales and customer service helped me substantially, too, as these would end up being the cornerstone of the internship.  The local branch manager and the area manager conducted the second interview, and I was then allowed to observe the day-to-day operations for a while.  The final interview was conducted by the group rental manager at the Minnesota headquarters.  Upon accepting the internship I was mailed my training information.  The weeklong training was helpful, but it would fail in comparison to the on-the-job training that was the most beneficial.  We were taught corporate policies and procedures, systems, protocol, and processes.  Every phase of the rental process was covered; from making reservations to settling disputes over damage.  It was a lot of information to digest, but it would be supplemented by a monthly checklist we’d have to cover with our assistant managers and branch managers.  When training ended and the internship officially began, I was thrust into the fast-paced environment that is a rental company in peak season.   

No comments:

Post a Comment