Monday, March 4, 2013

Introducing Jasmine Lee, Leadership Development Intern

Hello! I’m Jasmine and a 3rd year Management major at St. Cloud State.  My passions lie in leadership and helping develop students, and that is why I went on a search for an internship in a management/leadership position. While the internship search for many students is a stressful time, there are many opportunities to meet and build relationships with employers, like career fairs and club activities. I began a relationship with a financial services company early last semester through a club I’m involved in. By the end of the semester, they had really intrigued me, and we decided to go through the interview process. The interviews I had with them were so relaxed and comfortable unlike previous interviews I had with other employers. I believe the comfort was there because of the relationship built and because it was a good company fit for me.

If you would have asked me four months ago what kind of company I could see myself with, I never would have said a financial one. However, speaking with as many companies with areas of interest to you is important. It is crucial in today’s age that students are effective communicators, and the more practice you can get talking yourself up and showing companies what you know, the better. Yes, it is stressful and incredibly nerve-racking talking to employers the first few times. And hey, the first one I talked to ended up with me completely embarrassing myself, but you have to just keep your head up and learn from it. Employers like to see that you’re putting yourself out there and are really serious about finding the job that’s right for you. And besides, when you’re only 19,20, 21 years old, how do you really know where you want to be? So, after talking to plenty of companies, I ended up in the insurance and financial services industry, and absolutely love it.

This company just started a Leadership Development Program, which is the internship I will start fully in the summer. For now, I am talking to my employer weekly, learning about recruiting and doing some recruiting myself. While it is always nerve-racking doing something new, like an internship, it helps in your personal and professional development. From my short time with this company and the few trips I’ve taken to their office, I’ve already become more comfortable in a professional setting, communicating with professionals, and expressing confidence.  I’m excited to start part-time there in the summer and continue hands-on learning this semester. Stay tuned for updates on how it’s going!

No comments:

Post a Comment