Monday, March 4, 2013

Week 2 of Jasmine Lee's Blog

Even though I’m not doing much this semester for my internship yet, it’s still providing valuable experiences and I’m having a lot of fun with it! I enjoy doing hands-on activities and even with the office being in the cities, my employer accommodates me.

Right away, I found that recruiting is much more difficult than it seems. I was given a book called, "Recruit or Die" (which I would highly recommend for anyone in Human Resources) to read and learn more about everything that goes into recruiting before actually getting started. It was overwhelming, but exciting - I was going to get to do some of that!

Since the office is quite a drive from school, I don’t go in too much, so my employer calls me every week to catch up and give me small tasks. A few weeks ago, he gave me tips and tricks to scan resumes. I was given about 30 of them to scan and decide who should be contacted at the career fair coming up. So immediately, I’m in awe – I feel like I’m in control of the future of their company. I mean, what if I pick the wrong people? What If I toss out the right people? It was all so exciting, though, that they trusted me with choosing their candidates to interview. And what a great opportunity, too!

I’m excited to continue with this internship and learn more about recruiting. And what’s next? Going to some career fairs and seeing what it’s like on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment