Monday, March 18, 2013

Jessica Nietfeld Week 3

         Other than updating blogs, meeting with students about internships, and calling for sponsors for an event coming up in March, I have been really busy. 

        One of the challenges I have found is juggling my schedule between part-time work, full time classes, volunteering, and last but not least, fulfilling my internship hours.  By the end of this semester I will be considered an expert with time management.  Luckily I have picked an internship that is best for me since it is flexible with time as long as I complete the hours required each week.  One of the things I advise students to do when looking for an internship is find one that benefits them as well as the other way around.  I learned this philosophy from my supervisor, she believes students need to get the best out of an internship experience and shouldn't just settle for anyone that they can get.  Now that I have experience, I completely agree.

        Staying focus at an internship is a difficult task, especially when students have so much going on.  That is why having an interest in your internship position and the community you work with makes , it makes focusing that much easier.  Working with students is one of my favorite parts about the job because rather than me always helping them, they are always helping me in return.  Each question students have are different and if I don't know the answer I find it.  Hence, the students teach me something new every time just by the questions they ask!  When helping others I help myself.  I am so lucky I get to experience Internship Development while I myself am an intern.

       I am still trying to contact various businesses to donate/sponsor gifts for an event coming up very soon. One of the things about this duty is that I need to start way ahead of time in order to be considerate of other businesses and their deadlines.  Some businesses have donation deadlines, this is something I just learned.  One organization needed to know at least two months prior to the event date.  This information is vital because it eliminates a lot of sponsors from the list. 

         Procrastination is something I am getting better at the more I keep checklists around!  Thank god for the Stickie app and Post-Its

Stay posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment