Monday, March 18, 2013

Meghan Reistad Week 3


What a week! Since my last time writing a blog post, I filmed, edited and published a video about the talent who host the country morning show at my internship location. I am so excited to unveil the final project online! Overall, the experience taught me how to use brand new equipment, learn about a different video editing system and get to know a few of the employees at my internship.

            I began by learning how to use the new video equipment. To be honest, a lot of the process was trial and error. Once I had all of my equipment set up, I had to find the best way to use utilize my filming space. The studio was extremely small so I had to make the best out of a tough situation. I managed to get a few interesting shots by getting up-close and filming the microphone and headphones in the studio.

            The best part to filming the video was working with the radio hosts. They were excited to create the video and use a new form of media to connect with their fans. I arrived with an idea of what I wanted the video to be about, but my plans soon changed after arriving to film. The two hosts had great ideas and we ended up creating a fun and entertaining video that really showcased their personalities.

            After I finished filming the video, I began editing. This was definitely another trial and error process. I began by selecting clips from the footage that I wanted to use. Once I had my specific clips selected, I added in music behind the footage and used transitions to bring the video together. The finished product was better than I expected, thanks to the creativity of the talent I was featuring. All of our ideas, combined in a collaborative effort, helped to make the video entertaining.

The most difficult aspects to creating the feature video was not learning to use the equipment, but making a project with few specifications. Typically, I like specific directions when taking on a task. With this project, however, I was basically only given time constraints and a general idea of what was expected. In the end though, I believe the lack of direction was beneficial to the outcome of my video. We were able to be extremely creative without worrying about specifics.

In the next few weeks, I will be working on a few more videos for the country station to complete a series featuring all of the talent. My goal for the rest of my internship is to continue working with the video and editing equipment. All of the mistakes I make now will only help polish my skills for my future career. I’m doing my best to make the most out of my internship in the last half of the semester. Wow, time is flying by!   

No comments:

Post a Comment